From ancient times, flowers have coexisted with humans, soothing people's souls with their beauty while also serving as foods, poisons, and medicines. Flowers have further come to be seen as symbols of life, spreading their roots down into the earth in their multitude of colors and forms, each expressing its own unique qualities. When the time comes, their sprouts born freely in nature and their buds raised carefully in the city will bloom to bring forth new seeds. Many artists have sought to convey their lovely forms in works depicting vibrant bouquets and supple flowers. Photographs, which can capture in a single shot the fleeting beauty of flowers that bloom but for a moment, are one such endeavor. Please try to express the countless beauties of flowers through images.
[Submission Period] from September 5 to November 9
Photographer and cinematographer
Born in Tokyo in 1991. Recipient of the Award of Excellence for “Girl” at Canon’s 34th New Cosmos of Photography competition in 2011.
Recipient of the 47th Kodansha Publishing Culture Award for Photography with “BACON ICE CREAM” in 2016.
Major photo collections include “As the Call, So the Echo,” “The Good Side,” “Kimi No Sumu Machi” (“The Town you Live In), “PACARI SWEAT,” and “Los Angeles / San Francisco.”
Main exhibitions include “BACON ICE CREAM” at PARCO MUSEUM (2016), “Kimi No Sumu Machi” at Omotesando Hills Space O (2017), “As the Call, So the Echo” at Gallery 916 (2017), and “Shiroi Hikari” (“White Light”) at Canon Gallery S (2019).
– IMA next is a paid contest. You will be required to pay 2,000JPY per entry.
– We only accept credit cards (Visa, Mastercard, American Express).
– The applicant must be older than 16 years old. If you are underthe age of 18, please apply after obtaining the consent of your parent or guardian. In addition, payment must be made by credit card of the applicant or a parent or guardian.
100,000 JPY Cash Prize
– Portfolio Review by either IMA or the jury
– Exposure on IMA ONLINE and IMA official social media
The content of the prize may vary depending on the theme. Please check the page of each theme for details.
IMA next is a photo competition that aims to support emerging photographers to succeed in the art photography world.
|How to apply||
– Please chose the theme you would like to enter for and fill out the appropriate submission form. Make sure you chose the right form as it is different depending on each theme.
|Who can apply?||
The applicant must be older than 16 years old.
Otherwise, anyone is welcome! We have no restriction in terms of your nationality, age, gender or experience (Professional/Amateur).
For each theme, there will be about 2 months submission period.
2,000JPY per entry.
– All submissions need to be still photographs, no moving images will be accepted. All sorts of post-production processes are allowed.
OPEN FOR ENTRIES
Until March 20th
JUDGE: Kimi Himeno
JUDGE: Simon Baker
JUDGE: IMA editorial team
JUDGE: Mika Ninagawa
JUDGE: Tomoko Yoneda
JUDGE: Tim Barber
JUDGE: Hellen van Meene
JUDGE: Stefano Stoll
JUDGE: Martin Parr
JUDGE: Lin Zhipeng
JUDGE: Viviane Sassen
JUDGE: Alec Soth
JUDGE: Amanda Maddox
JUDGE: Daido Moriyama
JUDGE: Jeong Eun Kim
JUDGE: Todd Hido
JUDGE: Kenshu Shintsubo
JUDGE: Kei Wakabayashi
JUDGE: Chantal Rens
JUDGE: Chad Moore
JUDGE: Takashi Homma
JUDGE: Takayuki Ishii
JUDGE: Yoshitomo Nara
JUDGE: Yoshihisa Tanaka
JUDGE: Lesley A. Martin
JUDGE: Bruno Ceschel
VOICE OF NATURE
JUDGE: Risaku Suzuki